When I scheduled my COVID booster, I didn’t look at the calendar. I always check my calendar—this time, I did not. I checked with my oncologist to see if I could get the vaccine before a PET/CT. You can’t, by the way. So when I scheduled my COVID booster, I didn’t know it was the day before my Faslodex shots. I will never make that mistake again. I historically have a complete immune response that includes high fever, muscle pain, bone pain, chills, and headaches. To add insult to injury, I also had them give me the flu vaccine because why not feel the absolute worst I can possibly feel at one time.
I did try to change my vaccine appointment, but it would have pushed it out to the middle of October. I wasn’t comfortable with that. Onward. As expected, I had all the side effects. I also didn’t sleep because of them. I shivered and sweated while watching my new favorite show: Bones. How did I miss it when it was on? My fever reached 102.5, and I contemplated canceling my Faslodex appointment more than once. Hourly, in fact.
When Tuesday morning arrived, I choked down some Tylenol with some very strong coffee and slowly got ready for my appointment.
An Unexpected Surprise
It turns out this wasn’t going to be a normal Faslodex appointment. It was also time to get my Xgeva shot. Xgeva helps keep my bones strong-ish. It’s a small subcutaneous injection but really packs a punch. I get it every three months. Let’s not forget the port draw I wasn’t expecting. Honestly, that is typically the least painful even without numbing cream. We did the Faslodex first. The alcohol they swab your behind with didn’t dry completely. I knew this as soon as they jabbed the needles into me because it burned something awful. The sensation went all the way down my legs. That always makes it feel like the shots last FOR-EVER.
The port draw was next. The nurse jammed the large thumbtack-like needle into my port. She fidgeted with it and told me to turn my head to the left (my port is on the right). She wasn’t getting a blood return. The nurse raised the foot on the reclining chair I was in and released the back, so I was lying down in this chair. Still no blood. The nurse explained she needed to use a medication called Alteplase which would break up the small clot preventing the blood from coming thru my port. I had to sit while the Alteplase did its thing. Thirty minutes later, the nurse could get blood return and draw my labs. Finally, she administered the Xgeva, and I was free to go.
Good news. There were no new metastasis seen and my new friend in my kidney is still too small to be seen. I’m thankful my oncologist agreed to the PET after my previous scans. It makes me nervous to think if she had gone with the June scans, and the inconsistencies, and decided to change my treatment how that would have gone. We agreed to scan again in March.